Yard of the Month Award
Yard of the Month will be awarded for the months of May through October. A special decorating award will be given in December.
The overall goal of Yard of the Month Award Program is to recognize individuals whose property exemplifies the vision of keeping the South Side of Huntington beautiful.
We envision a clean and beautiful city where all citizens value and protect natural resources and take responsibility for enhancing their community environment.
Winning the Yard of the Month
For those who are interested in winning the Yard of the Month Award, certain criteria will be met.
- Landscapes are required to be:
1) Well-groomed (properties can have a natural, wildscape appearance, but grass must be mowed, and the perimeter of the property must be edged).
2) Attractive, pleasing to the eye (eg. green lawn; a variety of plants such as trees, shrubs, ground cover, flowers, wildflowers; plants with a variety of heights, textures, and colors; landscape features such as fountains, large rocks in bed, etc.)
- Buildings, fences, porches, and patios on the property will be in good repair, i.e. minimal distraction from the landscape due to deterioration, damage or construction.
- Extra consideration may be given to properties that have invested extra effort through the use of attractive art pieces (eg. pottery, ironwork), potted plants, birdhouses, patio or lawn furniture, windsocks, decorative mailboxes, etc.
- All selected properties will be free of litter, junk and debris.
- All selected properties will not have appliances or indoor furniture on porches or patios.
- All selected properties will be free of junked or inoperative vehicles.
- All selected properties will have no parking on the lawn.
- House numbers are displayed attractively.
- Only the portions of the yard viewed from the street will be judged.